Friday, February 18, 2011

Tortilla de Patatas

My favorite meal while I was living in Spain was the Tortilla de Patatas or Tortilla Española, a quintesential Spanish staple. I had this tortilla all over Spain and I can guarantee that the tortilla my Señora made was by far the very best. So, during the four months I lived with her, I was able to learn some of her secrets to the perfect tortilla and I am ready to share them with you!

Tortilla Española (read about my adventures with la tortilla here, in an pre-release excerpt from my Spanish food magazine: Comida)

Ingredients:

Potatoes, any variety
1 onion
3-6 egg whites
2-4 egg yolks
Salt to taste
Extra Virgin olive oil
Directions:
1. Pour 1-1.5 inches of olive oil in the bottom of a round-bottomed pan.

2. Peel and slice potatoes in to approximately 1 cm thick rounds. Place potato slices in warm oil until pan is about 2/3 full of potatoes. Oil should not be boiling.
3. Continue to turn potatoes for about 10-15 minutes or until all slice are soft. Potatoes should not brown.
4. Add salt to taste.
5. Grate onion in to potato mixture and continue to turn for about two more minutes.
6. Strain potato mixture, removing all excess oil (the easiest way is to allow the mixture to sit in a strainer for about three minutes).
7. While mixture is straining, beat all eggs together.
8. Pour potato mixture back in to pan and pour eggs over the top. Turn mixture so that the eggs are evenly dispersed.
9. Add salt to taste.
10. Allow Tortilla to cook for approximately three minutes, or until tortilla hold together when pan is shook.
11. Using a plate, flip the tortilla on to the plate and slide it back in to the pan allowing the other side to cook.
12. Cook for about three more minutes and carefully slide on to serving plate.
13. Allow the tortilla to sit for at least 30 minutes before serving so that it holds its domed shape.
14. ¡Buen Provecho!
To learn more about my time in Spain, visit: taylorqchat.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...