Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Hace Calor!

After my two week stint in Barcelona, I was starting to realize that I was turning, well, grouchy. I wasn't my same smily self, I actually noticed myself frowning and aggressively pushing my way through the crowded metro. As I stepped back to really think about it, I was becoming a stereotypical big city girl and honestly I didn't like how that looked. But, what can you do when you smile at little old men and women (knowing that all of all the people who will smile back at you, they're sure things) and they give you dirty looks.

This cold facade has finally ended and I'm back to my same old self thanks to one lady on the Metro, Tuesday morning.

Tuesday morning the Metro went on strike (little to my knowledge) so my train was 30 minutes late and I ended up being late to my first class (which killed my Type A tendencies). Once my train finally arrived and quickly after I rushed on, I was forced to move over a seat because a woman chose to sit directly next to me. I moved over, ticked off that the woman chose to sit directly next to me instead of at the more comfortable diagonal across from me.

Within seconds the woman pulled out a large paper fan and began fanning herself furiously (it's really hot in the metro). After a minute or so, she slowed to a nice calm pace and lucky for me, I was able to reap the benefits of her fan as she pushed air back and forth toward me. It really felt refreshing. Without thinking, I leaned in to her and said "gracias." She turned to me with a disgusted look on her face, so I repeated myself this time using my hand as a fan with an "I'm hot too, I feel your pain," look on my face. Instantly, it clicked and the woman bursted out in to straight up laughter. I was so happy to finally have someone respond pleasantly to me that I laughed too!

To my delight, she fanned us both for a good 3 minutes, I was able to ask her in my best broken Spanish what she knew about the Metro strike (which helped me get home that night in a timely manner) and she even offered me her fan if I was still hot.

When we reached our stop, the woman said "adios," with a big smile on her face. Even though I was terribly late to class, it was my favorite metro ride to date.

I've decided that I will not become a rushed, frustrated city dweller. I am going to retain my constant smile even when old women give me the stink eye in the grocery store.

On a side note, I found peanut butter today. There were approximately 8 jars of Peter Pan peanut butter for 4 euros each, I bought 2!

6 comments:

  1. I love smiling at people, this is so sad! Oh I have a story for yoU! I thought the scholarship deadline for the study abroad essay was for Friday, turns out it was due Wednesday at 5! I wrote that thing in less than 2 hours...I'm hoping they like me ahh so nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot find peanut butter anywhere! I'd pay top dollar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! NY has turned me into a first class bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're not losing the Texas Taylor that I love! If anyone can bring smiles to Barcelona it's you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that you reminded me of how much I love you!!

    You stick with it and make sure that everybody you meet knows that they have had the distinct pleasure of spending time with one of the best people on earth, let alone in Barcelona!!

    I made a cake this week and cookies today. I missed you every minute!!

    Nunca olvidaré cómo realmente hermosa eres!
    te queremos!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can perfectly picture you doing this. Perfectly. Miss you :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...